STORM FACTORY

STORM FACTORY
Glimpse the Future

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

QUEBRADA : CITY OF MASKS



"The Legendary Cliffs of Quebrada in Mexico are famous for breaking the backs of dare-devil high-divers and crippling them, as they dive into the rough sea below. The Cliffs of Quebrada are death-defying and have been known to kill many skilled high-divers."

For a while now, I've been hinting at what I've been writing. It's a secret project that I've been involved with for close to 6 months... and we are really ramping up now!

Here's a small glimpse of a few cool panels from the actual comic. Apologies but it's in Italian and has not been translated. I kinda like the fact it's not translated because I can read Italian and you, most likely, can't.

It helps preserve the mystery...



It's based on an Italian Comic Book called QUEBRADA written and created by Matteo Casali. It's about epic characters in a not so far off future and of course the eventual film will be in 3D. For those thinking we jumped on the 3D bandwagon, you're dead-wrong. We spoke about QUEBRADA being a 3D film in February 2009 way before AVATAR smashed every conceivable box office record in existence.

QUEBRADA was always destined to be a 3D film.


There will be Masks. Lots of masks. Unlike XMEN, we're not afraid of masks. We embrace the mask.

I can't really say what the film is about but it's a world with many heroes and villains and the lines that blur one into the other.



Did I mention that QUEBRADA will be epic? It's beyond epic. IT WILL BE BIBLICAL.



I'm working with the same fine gentlemen who produced my first film DIE, Andre Rouleau and Andrea Marotti. DIE should be hitting the screens this October. Look for it.



The VFX for QUEBRADA will be supervised by the legendary John Scheele who worked on everything from BATMAN to BLADE RUNNER. On top of being a bonafide genius (whose work helped shape my childhood dreams), he's a swell guy. Yeah, I'm from Canada and we still use the term "swell".



I wish I could say more about the themes and characters of QUEBRADA but I can't right now. All I can say is that the film has instantly iconic archetypal characters, a strong love story and eye-popping visuals.


There are a lot of masked heroes and villains in the story and we're doing something with the masks that's never been done before. Uber coolness. More on that later.



QUEBRADA will be a deadly serious take on the world of super-heroism and the out-of-control underworld of Luche Libre. It won't be tongue-in-cheek.

The motto is-- "If it's not real then it's no deal."



The shorthand pitch (and I hate boiling complex ideas down into simple terms) is-- imagine the world of MAD MAX via CITY OF GOD mixed with 300-- that's QUEBRADA: City Of Masks.



There you go: QUEBRADA is the mystery project I've been working on for quite some time.

There's also another comic book project in development based on characters I created. But that's another blog for another time. More details on mystery Project 2 when details firm up.

Get ready to rumble like you've never rumbled before!

QUEBRADA is coming.

Your Friend,

D.

No comments:

Post a Comment